Thursday, September 25, 2014

Post-snorkel picnic on Maitre Islet

After three hours of snorkeling, Oli brought us to Maitre Islet, an exclusive resort with over-the-water accommodations that is about 3 nautical miles from Noumea.


Maitre Islet pier and over-the-water accommodations

After a delicious picnic lunch of baguette, cheeses, meats, and fresh fruit, Jeanine and Steve settled in for an afternoon nap.


Jeanine and Steve enjoying a post-lunch nap

Kris and I took the time to do a little terrestrial exploring. I managed to walk completely around the island that is 700 meters long and covers about 6 hectares.


beach on the backside of Maitre Islet

It was worth it because I finally got to see my first and only sea snake as it emerged from the water to slither across the sand right in front of me on its way to curl up in the shade of the dunes vegetation.


sea snake crossing the beach
Laticauda saintgironsi

Oli offered to drop us off on the beach right in front of our hotel which gave me the opportunity to get a photo of our place from the water.


Casa del Sole as viewed from the water

No comments:

Post a Comment