Sunday, September 14, 2014

Yummy places to eat on the North Island of New Zealand

I don't think I have had a bad meal in New Zealand, and some were outstanding. It is especially impressive when you think that some of these meals are being served out in the sticks. The service is also friendly, and they don't expect tips. One of the other nice things about spending money in New Zealand is the price you see is the price you pay. Any taxes are incorporated into the published price.

My first meal in New Zealand was at the Sawmill Cafe. I had read about this place, and it was highly praised. I asked if there was a table where I might plug in my iPod to get it recharged. The host couldn't find a table near an electrical outlet, but he showed me one I could use that was within view of my table. While I was waiting for my meal to be served I had my iPad out looking at places I wanted to visit, places I might spend the night, etc. When he brought me my meal, he asked if I wanted WiFi. He explained there was no WiFi in the dining area, but he offered to let me go into the room they use for conferences where there is WiFi and electrical outlets I could use. So after I finished eating I went there and had a nice place to re-charge, check my email, and make my plans. 

I had one of the wood-fired pizzas with tandoori chicken, capsicum, red onion, fruit chutney, and yogurt. I ate the whole thing.

Sawmill Cafe in Leigh

a delicious "Ella Hart" pizza at Sawmill Cafe

When I passed through Matakana I happened upon the Plume Restaurant where I had lunch. It had nice outdoor seating, but I grabbed a table inside where I was able to plug in my iPad and use their free WiFi.

corn fritters and bacon at the Plume Restaurant in Matakana

Below is another example of a place out in the country where you can get an elegant meal. I had lunch at Bistro at The Falls Retreat after hiking the Karangahake Gorge. I had the local fish of the day which was beautifully presented.  I forgot what the sides were, but needless to say they were great. 
No electrical outlet or WiFi here.

Bistro at the Falls
view from my seat at Bistro at The Falls
local fish wrapped in prosciutto at Bistro at the Falls

When I got to Coromandel I walked up and down the street looking for a place to have a late lunch. I found the Pepper Tree Restaurant which severed me a plate of tempura fish with potatoe wedges and a salad. Very good and filling, so no need for dinner that day.

tempura fish and potatoe wedges at the Pepper Tree Restaurant in Coromandel

No comments:

Post a Comment